Six hundred great books of Western literature: the full text, on the net
"The Alex Catalogue of Electronic Text is a collection of 'great' American and English literature as well as Western philosohy. All the texts are in English, and there are about 600 of them total. Earlier versions of the Catalogue supported a greater number of features, but as time has past the various technologies implementing those features faded away. Most notably the creation of the PDF documents and the searching within the texts. Presently the Catalogue really only support author/title searches and the ability to download the text.
"Texts in the collection must have the following qualities:
* Only texts in the public domain or freely distributed texts will be collected.
* Only texts that can be classified as American literature, English literature, or Western philosophy will be included.
* Only texts that are considered "great" literature will included. Great literature is broadly defined as literature withstanding the test of time and found in authoritative reference works like the Oxford Companions or the Norton Anthologies.
* Only complete works will be collected unless a particular work was never completed in the first place. In other words, partially digitized texts will not be included in the Catalogue.
* Whenever possible, collections of short stories or poetry will be included as they were originally published. If the items from the originally published collections have been broken up into individual stories or poems, then those items will be included individually.
* The texts in the collection must be written in or translated into English.
We think this is a useful and interesting site. What do YOU think? Let us have your comments here on the usefulness of the site, and any alternatives which we should be adding to The Unscrambled Web.
Comment by David Harcourt
Copyright 2006: theunscrambledweb.com All logos, trademarks, brandnames and website names are the legal property of the relevant websites. The Unscrambled Web does not list any sites known to contain adult content, viruses or any damaging content, however we do not assume any responsibility for any websites listed. We recommend that all internet users should maintain up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware software on their computers.